|History of Dorney|
|Dorney lies on either side of Village
Road, which bisects the village. There are a number of old tudor
built cottages, which are built from timber and brick. They date
from the 17th century. There is a vicarage at one end of the
village, which now houses the Eton Dorney Project.
The name Dorney means "island frequented by bumble bees". Dorney isn't an island now, but it is thought that it was once a patch of land within a marshy bog.
Dorney appeared in the 1086 Domesday Book, and was called Dornei then.
Dorney was also the first place in Britain where a pineapple was grown.
The village is small, with a population of around 700, which includes the population of Dorney Reach, which is around half a mile away.
Dorney has a manor house, Dorney Court. It now belongs to the Palmer family, who have lived in the village for many years. The Court is open to visitors occasionally.
The church in Dorney is dedicated to St James the Less. It has an old graveyard, with a further "overflow" cemetary located on the the other side of the road.
There is another old church located in the nearby hamlet of Boveney. This is not used regularly for services any more and is rarely open to the public. There is the occasional carol service, which is by candlelight as the church has no electricity.
|Further information on the history of Dorney can be found on The Dorney History Group website|